400 Central Ave Suite 003 Northfield, IL 60093
ATTENDANCE AND PAYMENT POLICY
For continuous lessons, everything is done by calendar month, on a month to month basis. Scheduling, payments, etc. So there is no commitment to anything beyond a one-month timeframe. You prepay each month for a full month of weekly lesson times. So if your lessons are on Thursdays, for example, and the month has five Thursdays you pay for five and if there are four Thursdays you pay for four. This reserves a specific lesson time each week. Students are expected to attend their lessons every week at a recurring day and time, which is why we are looking for a consistent recurring time that works best for you. If at some point you need a different recurring lesson time just let us know and we will tell you other times that may be available. Even though things are done on a month to month basis, we assume lessons are ongoing unless we are told otherwise. As a courtesy, we offer three opportunities for makeup lessons or rescheduling each September through May, and one makeup lesson or rescheduling each June through August, totally based on availability. We ask the customer to take responsibility for scheduling makeup lessons with the office, which expire after sixty days, and we can only schedule them one week in advance. Makeup lessons occur in addition to regular weekly lessons, not in place of them. There are no makeup lessons offered for cancellations with less than 72 hours notice, except in cases of illness or emergency.
If a monthly commitment seems like it won’t work, we can schedule single lessons. Single lessons can be scheduled no more than one week in advance and does not guarantee that any times will be available in the future. So if you commit to continuous lessons you are guaranteed a reserved weekly time with an instructor, but single lessons are based on times available only within a coming week. If a student starts with continuous lessons and wants to switch to single lessons they need to finish out the month, and can switch to single lessons when a new calendar month begins. Single lessons are obviously a different cost than the monthly tuition for continuous lessons, and must be paid for when scheduled or the time cannot be reserved. We do not offer any makeup lessons or rescheduling for single lessons.
For one week of spring break and two weeks of winter break, lessons are totally optional. If you choose to skip lessons on those occasions there is no obligation to pay for those lessons or have makeups, as long as we know at the beginning of the month that the student will be absent.
We are closed on eight national each year, which are on the website, and you don’t pay for lessons on those dates. If your lesson falls on a holiday when we are closed and you still want a lesson that week just let us know and we will tell you other times that are available. Totally optional.
If your regular instructor is not able to make your lesson we will provide a qualified sub, and if we cannot find a sub you will receive an internal credit for that lesson.
FOR PROGRAMS AND CLASSES
Full session cost is prepaid at or before the first week of each session. Commitments to programs are on a per-session basis, and after the first week of any session there are no refunds. Students who miss more than one-third of scheduled dates are not eligible to participate in any final performances or recordings. There are no makeups.
You can prepay by cash, check, or credit card. The only card we do not take is American Express. We keep a credit card on file and can charge it automatically each month. You can still prepay by cash or check, but if we do not receive full payment by the beginning of the month we will pause lessons until we receive payment, and you may lose your lesson time.
We email statements at the beginning of each month which reflect all the activity from the previous month, including payments, lessons, etc.
The office handles everything. Scheduling, payments, policy questions, absences, etc are all handled by the office. We want our instructors to focus exclusively on lessons and their students, so the office handles all the administrative stuff.
(North Shore Music Institute, LLC may also hereinafter be referred to as “North Shore Music Institute” or “NSMI”)
• A monthly tuition is prepaid at or before the first scheduled lesson of each calendar month, calculated from calendar months containing either four (4) or five (5) weekly lessons, which reserves a specific weekly recurring lesson time and duration. Full tuition is paid regardless of whether or not lessons are attended. There are no refunds, rollover lessons, or credits for student absences. For new students, the first month’s tuition is prorated based on the starting date.
• Three (3) opportunities for makeup lessons or rescheduling may be offered each nine (9) month period specifically covering the months of September through May, and one (1) makeup lesson or rescheduling each three (3) month period specifically covering the months of June through August. NSMI is not obligated to provide any makeup lessons, which are offered by NSMI as a courtesy only. Makeup lesson offerings are subject to availability. Makeup lessons expire sixty (60) days from the date of original absence. Requests for these makeup lessons are the responsibility of the customer and can be scheduled no more than one (1) week in advance. Makeup lessons occur in addition to the recurring weekly lesson time, not in place of recurring lesson times. No makeup lessons are offered for lessons cancelled with less than 72 hours notice, except for cancellations due to illness or emergency only. Customers are always charged for the recurring lesson times as they apply to the calendar month, and makeup lessons will have no charge applied.
• Lessons are assumed to be perpetual by all parties unless arranged otherwise by the student, parent, or NSMI. Stopping or pausing lessons may forfeit any lesson time. To change your recurring lesson time or discontinue lessons, contact the NSMI office by email or phone at least two (2) weeks in advance.
• Lessons are optional for one week of spring break and two weeks of winter break only, and those lessons will be excluded from the monthly tuition only when NSMI is informed of absences at the beginning of the months containing those respective breaks.
• No lessons take place on the eight (8) holidays each year when NSMI is closed, and those dates are excluded from the monthly tuition. Lessons falling on those dates can be rescheduled upon request, based on availability.
• Students taking continuous lessons requesting to switch to single lessons are obligated to the payments and lesson dates/times of the month at the time of the request, and can switch to single lessons when a new calendar month begins.
• Single lessons must be paid for at the time of scheduling to reserve the requested lesson time. Single lessons can be scheduled no more than one week in advance. Single lessons do not guarantee the availability of any future lesson times. There are no makeups for or rescheduling of single lessons.
• Lesson times can be reserved no more than one week in advance.
• NSMI will provide a qualified substitute if the regular instructor is not available for any lessons. If NSMI cannot provide a substitute in the regular instructor’s absence the student will receive a credit for that lesson(s) within NSMI’s internal system only, or a makeup lesson time may be arranged.
PROGRAMS, CLASSES, OR GROUP LESSONS
• NSMI determines the designated day and time for any and all components of NSMI programs and groups, with instructors chosen exclusively by NSMI for all or any part of any session.
• Payment for a full session is due at or before the first week of each session. There are no refunds after the first week of each program. There are no makeups for absences. There are no refunds, rollover lessons, or credits.
• Students absent from more than one third (1/3) of any scheduled program dates are not be eligible to participate in final performances or recordings.
HOLIDAYS AND CLOSINGS
• NSMI is closed for the following holidays and will arrange makeup lessons for students with lessons scheduled on these days: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve.
• NSMI will contact students regarding closings due to weather conditions or any emergency that prevent normal business activities from taking place, and will offer makeup lessons. NSMI reserves the right to decide whether or not activities are cancelled, and if activities are not cancelled reserves the right to charge in accordance with its policies.
• Accepted forms of payment are cash, checks made payable to “NSMI” or “North Shore Music Institute”, and credit card (NSMI does not accept American Express). • Credit card payment can be set up to • Accepted forms of payment are cash, checks made payable to “NSMI” or “North Shore Music Institute”, and credit card (NSMI does not accept American Express). • Credit card payment can be set up to charge automatically every month.
• There are no refunds, rollover lessons, or credits for student absences.
• All balances not paid within the terms detailed herein are subject to a 5% compounding monthly charge.
• NSMI reserves the right to charge for any unpaid or outstanding balances at any time.
• A valid credit must be kept on file, and will be charged if payment has not been received by the first scheduled lesson of each month. Services will pause immediately whenever payment cannot be collected, and may forfeit any reserved lesson time.
All communications for any and all purposes are handled through NSMI office management. Students, parents, and instructors are not to exchange contact information or communicate privately outside of lessons, and NSMI strictly prohibits any communication between instructors and any person(s) under the age of 18.
Students are responsible for any damages they cause to NSMI property, as well as damages caused by their guests. If the student is under the age of 18, their parent or legal guardian will assume that responsibility. NSMI and NSMI associates are not responsible or liable for any injuries to students, especially if the student is an unsupervised minor outside their lesson time. Student, parent, and/or legal guardian waive the right to pursue legal action towards NSMI and/or NSMI associates for any injury sustained at any NSMI location or NSMI related events.
NSMI reserves the right to discontinue lessons with any student at any time for any reason or no reason at all.
NSMI reserves sole and exclusive decision-making rights for any and all NSMI related operations and activities.
NSMI reserves the right to any use of any documented format of the voice, sound, image, and/or likeness of any attendee or participant of an NSMI or NSMI related activity or event. The customer is responsible for additional fees due to returned payments, overdue balances, and/or collections fees. In the event of legal action, exclusive venue shall lie with court of competent jurisdiction in Cook County, Illinois. Should NSMI engage counsel to enforce payment, customer is responsible for paying all attorney fees, court costs and related expenses. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this agreement shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. This agreement applies to all participants from the same immediate family. NSMI policies are subject to change.
While the beginning portion of this document is a conversational-style overview of some of our policies, the customer is agreeing exclusively to all NSMI policies detailed under section heading FULL DETAILS.